November 29, 2009

do i dare to eat a peach?

really, this poem is so much more awesome than the wasteland. ezra pound said that with the simile that compared the sky to "a patient etherized upon a table," modern poetry was changed forever. i love the lines where the speaker seems to unravel a bit: "The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase,/ And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,/ When I am pinned and wriggling on a wall,/ Then how should I begin/ To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?/ And how should I presume?"
the whole poem is so mysterious. it's full of alienation and mobility, like you're walking through a haunted house and peeking inside each bizarre room. everything is anthropomorphized. love song? who is j. alfred prufrock?


i grow old. i grow old. i shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.



4 comments:

  1. sawdust restaurants with oyster shells

    welcome to boston

    ReplyDelete
  2. this poem was the first i ever had to analyze for a long paper, and it terrified me. now i feel like i'm wed to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this poem too. And, the title of this entry was my senior yearbook quote.

    Because peaches do give me indigestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do i dare disturb the universe?

    ReplyDelete